[gnutls-devel] cipher suites

Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos nmav at gnutls.org
Sun Oct 13 20:16:11 CEST 2013

On Sun, Oct 13, 2013 at 7:20 PM, James Cloos <cloos at jhcloos.com> wrote:

> NM> No-one uses static DH keys. I don't think anyone ever did. The data
> NM> from the SSL observatory show 0 certificates using static DH keys on
> NM> the Internet. This is the reason we never supported them.
> SB>> ECDH_ECDSA and ECDH_RSA key exchange:
>
> NM> The same as static DH keys.
> The 'net != the web. :)
> OpenSSL and NSS both support ECDSA pairs.

GnuTLS supports ECDSA certificates and keys with the ephemeral ECDH
(ECDHE) key exchange. What we don't support is the ECDH key exchange
that uses static ECDH keys. Static DH or ECDH keys aren't widely used
in the web or anywhere else and have no advantage over their ephemeral
counter-parts as they fail to provide forward secrecy.