[gnutls-devel] end of life of 2.12 and possible relicense on 3.1

Eli Zaretskii eliz at gnu.org
Mon Feb 4 19:07:25 CET 2013

> Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2013 18:11:31 +0100
> From: Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos <nmav at gnutls.org>
> CC: gnutls-devel at lists.gnutls.org
>
> On 02/04/2013 04:56 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>
> >> If the above is correct, then the heartbeat handling code (which is
> >> based on Olga's contribution) will be made optional (it is already
> >> optional on the current release), and the library compiled by default
> >> will be available under LGPLv2.1.
> >
> > What will all this mean for Emacs, which can be optionally be built
> > with GnuTLS and uses GPLv3?
>

> It will be LGPLv2.1 or later, so it will be compatible with all FSF
> range of licenses.

IANAL, so please forgive me my ignorance.  I'm worried by this
wording:

  When we say that GPLv2 and GPLv3 are incompatible, it means there is
  no legal way to combine code under GPLv2 with code under GPLv3 in a
  single program.

which can be found at the beginning of this page:

  http://www.gnu.org/licenses/rms-why-gplv3.html

It talks about GPLv2, not LGPLv2.1, but it still isn't clear to me
whether linking a GPLv3 Emacs against LGPLv2.1 GnuTLS library is
possible.