gnutls + openpgp

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Mon Nov 5 09:32:29 CET 2012

On Sun,  4 Nov 2012 19:44, ott at mirix.org said:

> Despite of mod_gnutls I'm not aware of any software that supports it. I
> tried to make Mozilla aware of TLS with OpenPGP [1], but (I think) there
> seems to be no interest and getting support for this into NSS didn't
> seem "politically" easy. So it's a chicken and egg problem.

It is even not possible to get OpenPGP into Thunderbird, proper.  We
tried this since about 2000 without any success.  It is a pity that you
need the Enigmail extension instead of having proper support included in
Thunderbird.  Almost all other mail clients support OpenPGP - with the
exception of Outlook and Thunderbird.

Thus why should they support a TLS option in Firefox if they don't even
support the de-facto mail encryption standard in Thunderbird.

Salam-Shalom,

   Werner