[gnutls-devel] GNUTLS is not going anywhere

Juho Vähä-Herttua juhovh at iki.fi
Thu Dec 13 13:12:47 CET 2012

On 13.12.2012, at 12.12, Richard Stallman <rms at gnu.org> wrote:
> You cannot change the name of GNUTLS.  It is not yours.
> You offered to work on it, and and we entrusted the project
> to you.  If you want to stop, you can stop.

The solution to this debate seems very simple to me, as a bystander. Nikos has already stated he does not want to work on GNUTLS under FSF, but continues to use the GNUTLS name. FSF should send Nikos a formal announcement (in the name of FSF not just RMS, no offense) of not being allowed to use the name GNUTLS any more. Nikos should start a fork of GNUTLS and operate it under a different name in case he wants to continue working on the project. Nikos can announce his fork on GNUTLS mailing list to make all willing developers to move onto his project. Now we just need to execute this chain of events.

As a side note, I find Werner's accusations, as written on his blog, of FSF not defending its rights in case of GnuPG copyright violations very serious. When a copyright holder transfers their rights to FSF they also transfer their rights to defend against copyright violations. I sincerely hope thes goodwill has not been and will not be abused by FSF.

However, thank you to all members of this debate of the great work you are doing.

Juho