hangs with active p11-kit modules

Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos nmav at gnutls.org
Tue Aug 14 14:53:00 CEST 2012

On Tue, Aug 14, 2012 at 11:39 AM, Sven Geggus <sven at gegg.us> wrote:
> Hello,
> I encounter strange hangs on various pieces of software (cups, mutt, ...)
> linked against gnutls (2.12.x) with an active pkcs11 smartcard module. This
> module is not used by these applications, they are just linked against
> gnutls.

GnuTLS uses any active PKCS #11 modules. In any applications that use
gnutls you may provide a pkcs11 url and access your keys and
certificates stored in smart cards or tokens as it would have been in
a file.

> This goes this far that building gnutls with an active pkcs11 module takes
> ages because of very long delays in various gnutls self-tests and after some
> very long delay in almost every single test the build fails with the following messages:

That is because several pkcs11 modules have memory leaks and delays on
initialization. gnutls 3.0.22 isn't so strict on the test suite to
avoid those errors.