Problem with int types persists on nettle 2.4 and gnutls 3.0.19 on Solaris 9 Sparc

Simon Josefsson simon at josefsson.org
Fri Apr 27 15:46:18 CEST 2012

fre 2012-04-27 klockan 14:54 +0200 skrev Niels Möller:
> Dagobert Michelsen <dam at opencsw.org> writes:
>
> > I just verified that the problem persists with nettle 2.4 and gnutls-3.0.19. As you seem to have
> > access to the Solaris buildfarm it would be cool if you could finally fix this as it blocks
> > new releases of gnutls for the OpenCSW distribution.
>
> It's some time since I looked in to this. My understaning of the problem
> is that
>
> 1. This Solaris version lack both <stdint.h> and <inttypes.h>. (A
>    comment in AX_CREATE_STDINT_H seems to imply that it does have a
>    <sys/inttypes.h>, should we use that?)

Using system headers if available seems like a good idea.

> 2. Nettle defines uint32_t and friends using the AX_CREATE_STDINT_H
>    autoconf macro.
>
> 3. gnulib defines them in a different way.

What is the difference?  This sounds bad.

> 5. The definitions of some other (unused) types are incompatible, e.g.,
>    int_fast8_t, and cause the compilation errors.

If they are unused, we could remove the definitions.

> 6. The definitions from AX_CREATE_STDINT_H is compatible with the
>    definitions of these types in Solaris 10. gnulib's definitions
>    aren't, so any code using them can potentially break if linked
>    together with code compiled on Solaris 10.
>
> Hence I think it ought to be fixed in gnulib. Simon (and any other
> gnulib people on these lists), do you agree?

Yes.  Understanding what the differences is, and which one is right, seems useful first though.  If the problem is in gnulib, we can fix that and GnuTLS will have the new variant soon.