Problems with automatic pkcs11 reinit on fork

Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos n.mavrogiannopoulos at gmail.com
Mon Oct 10 23:40:33 CEST 2011

On 10/10/2011 06:17 PM, Stef Walter wrote:

>> Then I'd have exactly the same problem that you have. Performance
>> issues :) It might be better for this issue to be solved once and
>> for all users of p11-kit.
> It's pretty hard to do this correctly at the p11-kit layer. We cannot
>  transparently hide the fact that all of a sudden all slots, token
> info, sessions, objects, and other handles have been invalidated.
> Therefore any structures that gnutls is holding must also be cleared
> on fork. Forgive me if I'm missing something, but the only way I see
> to solve this part of the problem is for p11-kit to notify gnutls
> that any and all PKCS#11 state is invalid. gnutls would then start
> from a clean pkcs#11 state. I'll work on some patches for gnutls.

I wouldn't think gnutls as a special case, but rather as just another
user of the p11-kit framework (glue). Having an API that says please
during fork do that, but if you do fork very often then wait until the
next pkcs11 operation and then do it, or you become slow... sounds
really ugly. Of course there could be a fix for gnutls because the API
is limiting pkcs11 operations, but other users of p11-kit would have
exactly the same problem and a fix might not be so straightforward.

A viable solution I see is wrapping pkcs11 calls. I see how you did that
in gnutls so it looks pretty straightforward that could be added and
exported from p11-kit. But anyway it is your call.