PKCS #11 + gnutls

Christian Hilberg hilberg at kernelconcepts.de
Fri Mar 25 10:34:49 CET 2011

On Thu 24 March 2011, Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos wrote:
> Hello,
>
> The just-released gnutls 2.12.0 includes support for security
> modules such as smart-cards via the PKCS #11 API. More
> details are available at:
> http://www.gnu.org/software/gnutls/manual/html_node/PKCS-_002311-tokens.htm
> l#PKCS-_002311-tokens
>
> It should be noted however that PKCS #11 is an old
> API with few problems. If you expect the PKCS #11 modules
> to be used by multiple crypto libraries, we suggest that you
> use the intermediate module p11-kit. It is available at:
> http://p11-glue.freedesktop.org/

Aside from p11-kit, has GnuTLS PKCS #11 been tried with the OpenCryptoki [1] /
Trousers [2] stack (or glue, whichever wording is more appropriate)? I'm
asking just out of curiosity as we're using OpenCryptoki/Trousers and NSS
presently, since there had not been PKCS #11 support in GnuTLS when we started
out with our project [3], which could also profit from the now-available PKCS
#11 support in GnuTLS.

Kind regards,

	Christian

[1] http://sourceforge.net/projects/opencryptoki/