master branch --- build problems

Simon Josefsson simon at josefsson.org
Fri Jul 30 16:01:34 CEST 2010

lfinsto at gwdg.de writes:

> On Fri, July 30, 2010 10:12 am, lfinsto at gwdg.de wrote:
>
> I've installed autoconf (GNU Autoconf) 2.67.4-14f35, i.e., the current
> HEAD of the Autoconf git repository at Savannah.
>
> The following sequence of commands works with no new problems or errors.
> These are the remaining problems:
>
> 1. LDFLAGS must be set explicitly or libgcrypt isn't found.

Try --with-libgcrypt-prefix=/home/lfinsto/libgcrypt-1.4.6 instead.  In
my experience LDFLAGS can causes more problems than it solves.

> 2.  configure must be called after `make bootstrap' because the latter
> doesn't accept options.

It does, you may supply them as 'make ADDFLAGS=--with-foo' or similar.
Check at the top of cfg.mk for variable names and how they are used.

> 3.  Files installed by libtoolize are not readable by the user (?!).

This seems weird, and could be a problem with your libtool installation.
Maybe you can debug it?

> 4.  gcrypt.h isn't found "automatically".

It should be if you use --with-libgcrypt-prefix.

> In my opinion, the current state of things on my system is acceptable,
> although it's a bit boring watching the configure scripts run repeatedly.
> I think it would be nice to make it easier for people who don't
> necessarily know how to go through the various steps, but I can't think of
> any obvious way of doing this.

The README-alpha file should cover what is needed for typical
environments, and we could extend it with more things if needed.  I
think the main problem for you was the Autoconf 2.66 bug -- the above
problem appear solvable.