wrong gnutls.pc

Andreas Metzler ametzler at downhill.at.eu.org
Sat Feb 27 20:06:49 CET 2010

On 2010-02-26 Vincent Torri <vincent.torri at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 7:30 PM, Andreas Metzler <
[...]
>>>  * libtasn1 is not checked with pkg-config if it exists (well, i don't see
>>> anything in gnutls/lib/configure.ac).

>> tasn is searched for with AC_LIB_HAVE_LINKFLAGS. See
>> ./lib/m4/hooks.m4.

> ok.

> > If it exists, 'libtasn1' must appear in the Requires.private field
> > (or Requires field if you support pkg-config 0.22).

As far as my testing runs Requires.private works perfectly fine with
pkg-config 0.22, it is just not documented.

>>  It does.

> no it does not. the field *****Requires.private*****, and not Libs.private,
> does not appear in the .pc

>>> If it does not exists, i think that you link directly against your
>>> own libtasn2 code, so @LTLIBTASN1@ should not appear in Libs.private

>> This seems to work correctly for me, too.

> sure, but having libtasn1 in Requires.private instead of having -ltasn1 in
> Libs.private is different. pkg-config takes care of the possible
> dependencies with the Requires.private field. Look at pkg-config
> documentation. By doing what you do, you can broke linking with future
> versions of libtasn1 if it has dependencies.

So the major upside of Requires.private over Libs.private is that
pkg-config could recourse over the required libraries dependencies?

pkg-config(1) is rather short, it basically just says

"[Libs.private:] This differs from Requires.private: in that
it references libraries that do not have package files installed."

without saying why Requires.private /should/ be used for pkg-config
using libraries.

thanks, cu andreas
so grateful to you.'