Example for /doc/examples/ using Flex and Bison

Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos nmav at gnutls.org
Wed Aug 4 18:43:49 CEST 2010

On Fri, Jul 30, 2010 at 5:24 PM,  <lfinsto at gwdg.de> wrote:
> Hello,
> This may or not be of interest to you, but I thought I'd send it in case
> it is.
> The application I've written for my job uses a server and client that
> communicate using two scanner/parser pairs, one for each peer.  They are
> written using Flex and GNU Bison.  It is slightly tricky getting this to
> work and the actual application is already fairly complicated, so I wanted
> to make a simple example, while it's fresh in my mind.  I think it would
> be most useful if it was included in the GNUTLS package, where people
> would find it.

Hi Laurence,
 I'm on holidays and haven't checked the code, but my question would
be why would this be good as an example? The examples included in
gnutls have to be pretty simple, so developers can understand the
usage of the underlying gnutls functions. For example in most of the
examples we hide out the TCP/IP functions, for simplicity. Having a
parser as an example would be confusing to people who don't know
bison/flex and I don't know what the benefit would be to people who
know how to use them. (this written without having seen the actual
code)