testing gcrypt thread-safety

Simon Josefsson simon at josefsson.org
Thu Oct 29 08:50:50 CET 2009

Taken from the libgcrypt list:

Daniel Kahn Gillmor <dkg at fifthhorseman.net> writes:

> I don't see any code in the tests/ directory which exercises this stuff,
> but i'd be willing to write a test if anyone has a particular feature
> that they think would be worth testing against threadsafe initialization.

It would be useful to have a threaded self-test in GnuTLS too -- if you
have a minimal test case that initializes gcrypt and does some gcrypt
testing in two (or more) parallel threads, it would be great if you
could contribute that to GnuTLS too, and I can adapt it to do TLS
sessions in each thread.

I'm thinking it would be nice to a have a threaded version of
tests/mini.c which does in-process TLS negotiations.  It could set up
two threads that talked to each other with its own push/pull functions
protected by a mutex.