gnutls-2.2.1 fails to build on HP-UX

Dr. David Kirkby david.kirkby at onetel.net
Sun Nov 29 16:48:38 CET 2009

Simon Josefsson wrote:
> "Dr. David Kirkby" <david.kirkby at onetel.net> writes:
>
>> We tried a later version, and that was causing problems not only on
>> HP-UX and OpenSolaris, but also on Solaris 10 (SPARC).
>
> I have built the latest daily 2.9.10 snapshot on t2.math.washington.edu
> now (Solaris 10?)

Yes, 't2' runs Solaris 10 update 8. (Solaris 10 came out in March 2005, and has
been updated 8 times since). It's a machine based on Sun's SPARC processors. For
what it is worth, there are 4 combinations of Solaris

  * Solaris 10 on SPARC processors (like t2)
  * Solaris 10 on x86 processors
  * OpenSolaris on SPARC processors (quite rare)
  * OpenSolaris on x86 processors.

Did you build the gnutls snapshot with gcc, or the Sun compilers in
/opt/SUNWspro/bin ?

It would be good if gnutls would build with the Sun C (/opt/SUNWspro/bin/cc) and
C++ (/opt/SUNWspro/bin/CC) compilers, as they generate faster code than gcc.

The Sun compilers also tend to be a bit more problematic to build with, as they
are far more fussy about the code than the GNU compilers. They enforce the C
standards much more rigidly, whereas gcc allows numerous extensions to the C
language.

I've not tried to build gnutls with the Sun compilers yet myself. I might as
well not bother until I get an up to date snapshot.

OpenSolaris is Sun more 'experimental' Solaris version. It has more up to date
tools, but is less well tested than Solaris 10. I built gnutls 2.8.5 on
OpenSolaris (the latest 06/2009 edition), using gcc, but needed to configure
gnutls with:

./configure  --with-libgcrypt-prefix=/usr 'LDFLAGS=-lnsl'

otherwise, without setting LDFLAGS, 'inet_ntop' was an unresolved symbol.

William Stein could give you access to a OpenSolaris virtual machine. But if I
can get a snapshot, I can test it quite easily.

I've already sent you the account details for the HP-UX machine.

> and it worked fine except for another 'grep -q'-ism
> which I have fixed.

Good.

> Expect the next 2.9.10 release to build without any
> errors on it.
>
> /Simon

That's good news. If you can test on the HP-UX machine, I would appreciate it.
If you do not feel you are able to test for a few days, then let me know and I
will power the machine off until you are able to. It uses quite a bit of power,
so I do not wish to run it unless its being used.

Dave