tls iwthout sockets

Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos nmav at gnutls.org
Sun May 24 19:43:38 CEST 2009

Trixter aka Bret McDanel wrote:
> I have a quirky app that while connection based is not tcp based.  I am
> looking for some way to use tls (or something comparable in terms of
> peer review, security, etc) for authentication of both ends of the
> connection.
>
> Is there an example of how to use gnutls without it managing the socket?

Yes, you can set hooks to replace the push and pull functions. Check
gnutls_transport_set_push_function and
gnutls_transport_set_pull_function. As long as the underlying layer is
reliable it would work.

> Is there something better than TLS for authentication (may be anonymous
> or certificate based) given the fact that it wont be over a tcp link?

TLS is not for TCP connections only. Anyway if it is not for a reliable
transport you should check DTLS as well (not implemented in gnutls).