About gnutls windows handshake problem

Simon Josefsson simon at josefsson.org
Thu May 14 15:10:35 CEST 2009

Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos <nmav at gnutls.org> writes:

> Ankush Vaid wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> This is regarding handshaking failure on qualcomm mobile 6280 using
>> security, after digging into the problem I come to know about that error is
>> coming at finished message which is found of size 208 bytes.
>>
>> There is link given below which suggest that some mobiles don't support non
>> minimal record padding.
>>
>> http://www.gnu.org/software/gnutls/manual/html_node/On-Record-Padding.html
>>
>> If this the case probably there is a workaround in gnutls library we are
>> using to resolve/fix this issue.
>
> Hi,
>  I do not understand what is the question here. If you ask for a
> workaround this is discussed in the page you refer to (the %COMPAT
> priority string).

Indeed %COMPAT seems like the answer.  However, isn't that keyword
confusing?  How about adding %DISABLE_MAC_PADDING?  Today those two
keywords would do the same, but if we encounter other compatibility
hacks, %COMPAT would also enable them, but %DISABLE_MAC_PADDING would
only disable MAC padding.  It seems better to introduce this today
rather than when the next compatibility hack is introduced.