Compiling issues on Mac OS X 10.5.6

Robin Seggelmann seggelmann at fh-muenster.de
Mon Mar 23 17:34:44 CET 2009

On Mar 23, 2009, at 9:06 AM, Simon Josefsson wrote:

> Robin Seggelmann <seggelmann at fh-muenster.de> writes:
>
>> Hi everyone,
>> I checked the latest GNUTLS out of the git repository and tried to
>> build it on Mac OS X 10.5.6. Unfortunately I only get to the language
>> files where I get the following errors:
>>
>> Making install in po
>> test ! -f ./libgnutls.pot || \
>> 	  test -z "en at boldquot.gmo en at quot.gmo de.gmo fr.gmo ms.gmo
>> nl.gmo pl.gmo sv.gmo vi.gmo" || make en at boldquot.gmo en at quot.gmo
>> de.gmo  fr.gmo ms.gmo nl.gmo pl.gmo sv.gmo vi.gmo
>> rm -f en at boldquot.gmo && /usr/local/bin/msgfmt -c --statistics -o
>> en at boldquot.gmo
>> en at boldquot.po
>> en at boldquot.po:46: `msgid' and `msgstr' entries do not both end with
>> \n'
>> en at boldquot.po:50: `msgid' and `msgstr' entries do not both end with
>> \n'
>> en at boldquot.po:54: `msgid' and `msgstr' entries do not both end with
>> \n'

>> en at boldquot.po:1127: `msgid' and `msgstr' entries do not both end
>> with
>> \n'
>> en at boldquot.po:1132: `msgid' and `msgstr' entries do not both end
>> with
>> \n'
>> en at boldquot.po:1137: `msgid' and `msgstr' entries do not both end
>> with
>> \n'
>> /usr/local/bin/msgfmt: found 161 fatal errors
>> 245 translated messages.
>> make[3]: *** [en at boldquot.gmo] Error 1
>> make[2]: *** [stamp-po] Error 2
>> make[1]: *** [install-recursive] Error 1
>> make: *** [install-recursive] Error 1
>>

>> Despite that this can't be the solution, I added '\n' to every line
>> msgfmt complains about. Then I get the same errors for the file
>> en at quot.po . If I also correct them, it complains about not finding
>> the file  de.po which actually isn't there, just a de.po.in. Renaming
>> doesn't  solve anything.
>>
>> Does anyone know what's going wrong here?
>
> How did you build it?  Check cfg.mk:
>
> autoreconf:
> 	for f in $(PODIR)/*.po.in; do \
> 		cp $$f `echo $$f | sed 's/.in//'`; \
> 	done
> 	mv lib/build-aux/config.rpath lib/build-aux/config.rpath-
> 	test -f ./configure || autoreconf --install
> 	mv lib/build-aux/config.rpath- lib/build-aux/config.rpath
>
> So you should type 'make autoreconf' to make it copy the po/*.po.in
> files to po/*.po.  This is also the default make rule, so after a
> clean
> 'git' checkout, you should be able to do just 'make'.
>
> /Simon

Unfortunately this command doesn't change anything. I made a clean git
checkout and typed:

autoreconf -i -f
./configure
make

That's all I did. The configure script runs fine, make compiles
everything until it hits the language files. Then I get the same error
as before. libgcrypt 1.4.4, libgpg-error 1.7 and gaa is installed.

Robin