compilation difficulties on Mac

John Ratliff webmaster at technoplaza.net
Thu Jul 30 05:50:16 CEST 2009

Simon Josefsson wrote:
>> My configure line
>>
>> ./configure --disable-shared
>> --with-libgcrypt-prefix=$HOME/unix/libgcrypt --prefix
>> $HOME/unix/gnutls-20090628
>>
>> My configure output: http://code.technoplaza.net/temp/gnutls/configure.log
>> The output of make http://code.technoplaza.net/temp/gnutls/make.log
>>

> Can you try without --disabled-shared?

Shared builds work fine. It's only static builds that fail.

I didn't want to use shared libraries because I'm distributing an
application and it's difficult to bundle shared libraries with an
application. I wrote some perl scripts that help me change the library
names and paths which ease the process, so I guess I will do that from
now on. I haven't found any way to do this automatically. Perhaps there
is a better way I have overlooked, but I'm not well versed in OS X
development tools.

Have you tried it with --disable-shared? It doesn't seem to work. Also
requires libgcrypt to have a shared version built, which in turn
requires libgpg-error to be built shared.

>> The library builds fine, and if I edit the Makefile to tell it to
>> ignore the doc directory, I can use make install and the library works
>> perfectly. I am presently using this patch
>> http://code.technoplaza.net/filezilla/gnutls-2.8.patch to adjust the
>> Makefile.
>>
>> Any better suggestions?

Someone told me to change to the lib subdirectory and make from there.
That's what I've been doing and it lets me eliminate the patch.

--John Ratliff