gnutls fails to use Verisign CA cert without a Basic Constraint

Simon Josefsson simon at josefsson.org
Fri Jan 9 12:09:39 CET 2009

Tomas Mraz <tmraz at redhat.com> writes:

> On Fri, 2009-01-09 at 11:16 +0100, Simon Josefsson wrote:
>> Simon Josefsson <simon at josefsson.org> writes:

>> > Thanks, I can reproduce the problem.  Should be fixed with this patch:
>> >
>> >  http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/gnutls.git/commit/
>>
>> Sorry, that link was wrong.  For the 2.6.x branch the proper link is:
>>
>> http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=gnutls.git;a=commitdiff;h=423fc8b82f2b9aa3ea820cd5cf75d5813dffbbf0
>>
>> Please test the patch and confirm whether or not it works for you.  I
>> think we should do a new 2.6.x release to deal with this.
>
> I suppose there is an extraneous gnutls_assert () call in the case the
> cert is V1 and the appropriate flags are set.

The gnutls_assert() is there for logging, and can be useful when
understanding which path an execution took.  If debug logging is not
used (the default) it is essentially a no-op.

I guess we can remove the call if it is triggered very often, but
logging about V1 CA's might make someone notice it and do something
about it.  I'd consider a V1 CA something of an exception and worth
worrying about, hence the assert call.