Using LGPLv3+ license for libgnutls?

Simon Josefsson simon at josefsson.org
Wed Sep 10 14:10:04 CEST 2008

Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer at nic.fr> writes:

> On Wed, Sep 10, 2008 at 09:28:29AM +0200,
>  Simon Josefsson <simon at josefsson.org> wrote
>  a message of 94 lines which said:
>
>> The problem is for GPLv2-only projects that wants to use a LGPLv3
>> library.
>
> :-(
>
> My case: http://echoping.sourceforge.net/
>
> Since echoping has the OpenSSL exception, switching GNUTLS to LGPLv3
> would mean dropping GNUTLS support, just to please the FSF lawyers.

Is echoping licensed under GPLv2 or GPLv2-or-later?  I can't find
anything conclusive in the echoping sources (probably something you want
to fix :)).

GPLv2-or-later with OpenSSL exception is compatible with LGPLv3 if I
understand correctly.

Anyway, it seems we have gathered plenty of arguments that probably will
delay re-licensing for some time.