Using LGPLv3+ license for libgnutls?

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Wed Sep 10 08:33:00 CEST 2008

On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 07:59, davefx at gmail.com said:

> can be dinamically linked to a LGPL3 library. And, as far as I know
> (and, please, correct me if I am wrong, as I am not a lawyer), a GPL2
> product can still be dinamically (or even statically) linked with a
> LGPL3 library.

[ The way you technical combine code does not matter in regard to the
  GPL.  Thus it is irrelevant whether it is runtime or build time
  linked.  What makes up a derivative work needs to be decided in each
  case by considering a lot of facts.  Thus even GPL code linked at
  build time may - under certain circumstances - not even be a
  derivative work.  OTOH, is is quite possible that just by spawning
  another program you create a derivative work. ]

The LGPLv3 has a bug which makes this license incompatible to the GPLv2.

However if the GPLv2 program is actually under the GPLv2+ (version 2 or
later), you may combine it with LGPLv3 code by claiming that you took
advantage of the "or any later version" clause and thus push up the code
to the GPLv3.  This is not possible if the code is GPLv2(only).

Salam-Shalom,

   Werner

--
Linux-Kongress 2008 + Hamburg + October 7-10 + www.linux-kongress.org