opencdk under LGPL

Simon Josefsson simon at josefsson.org
Mon Jan 14 15:57:12 CET 2008

Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos <nmav at gnutls.org> writes:

> On Friday 21 December 2007, Simon Josefsson wrote:
>> Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos <nmav at gnutls.org> writes:
>> > Thanks to Timo Schulz and Free Software Foundation some parts of the
>> > opencdk library are now available under LGPL. I used those parts to
>> > create a gnutls library with openpgp support (in the main LGPL library).
>> > You can check the gnutls_2_2_x_with_opencdk branch if you want to test
>> > it.
>> >
>> > In this version only the included LGPL opencdk library is used.
>>
>> Interesting!  How will this interact with upstream opencdk releases?
>> Will upstream opencdk be re-licensed to LGPL?
>
> I have splitted the files in the opencdk distribution in a way that we can
> copy directly the LGPL ones only. This is what I've done in the lgpl branch.
> I don't know how good idea would be to drop the dependency on opencdk
> completely and use the included LGPL files only.

I think it would be better to have a libgnutls-openpgp (under LGPL) for
the OpenPGP stuff, for at least two reasons: size and API compatibility.
This would make it easier to do further work on the OpenPGP stuff
without breaking API/ABI for the core library.  What do you think?

As for opencdk, I'm not sure... as far as I know, very few (if any)
applications except gnutls uses opencdk.  But having it available as a
separate library is good in case someone wants to use it.  It also helps
to make sure gnutls and the lgpl-opencdk library are well separated, and
that we only use public APIs etc.