GnuTLS 2.5.5, first release candidate for 2.6.0

Simon Josefsson simon at josefsson.org
Fri Aug 29 13:45:53 CEST 2008

The GnuTLS 2.5.x branch is NOT what you want for your stable system.  It
is intended for developers and experienced users.

I don't recall any new major features that are pending for the 2.5.x
branch, so consider this a first release candidate for the next stable
release 2.6.0.  Test it as if it were a new stable release!

Here are the compressed sources:
  http://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/gnutls/gnutls-2.5.5.tar.bz2
  ftp://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/gnutls/gnutls-2.5.5.tar.bz2

The Windows binary installer and PGP signature:
  http://josefsson.org/gnutls4win/gnutls-2.5.5.exe (14MB)
  http://josefsson.org/gnutls4win/gnutls-2.5.5.exe.sig

The Windows binaries (DLL, EXE, etc) without the installer:
  http://josefsson.org/gnutls4win/gnutls-2.5.5.zip (5.3MB)
  http://josefsson.org/gnutls4win/gnutls-2.5.5.zip.sig

Thanks to Enrico Tassi, we also have mingw32 *.deb's available:
  http://josefsson.org/gnutls4win/mingw32-gnutls_2.5.5-1_all.deb (4.9MB)

Improving GnuTLS is costly, but you can help!  We are looking for
organizations that find GnuTLS useful and wish to contribute back.  You
can contribute by reporting bugs, improve the software, or donate money
or equipment.

Commercial support contracts for GnuTLS are available, and they help
finance continued maintenance.  Simon Josefsson Datakonsult, a Stockholm
based privately held company, is currently funding GnuTLS maintenance.
We are always looking for interesting development projects.  See
http://josefsson.org/ for more details.

/Simon

* Version 2.5.5 (released 2008-08-29)

** libgnutls: New API to get a string corresponding to a error symbol.
The function is gnutls_strerror_name.

** libgnutls: Fix include paths so that building with internal libtasn1 works.
Reported by "jth.net ApS" <info at jth.net>.

** libgnutls: Fix segmentation fault when generating private keys.
Reported by Daniel Kahn Gillmor <dkg-debian.org at fifthhorseman.net>.

** libgnutls: Remove code to import certificate chains in PKCS#7 format.
The code has not worked since v0.9.0 and apparently nobody has missed
it, so we decided to remove the code rather than fix it.  If you have
old certificate chains stored in PKCS#7 format, you can convert them
to a list of PEM certificates by using 'certtool --p7-info'.  Reported
by Christian Grothoff <christian at grothoff.org>.

** opencdk: Parse (but not decrypt) encrypted secret keys.
Contributed by Daniel Kahn Gillmor <dkg-debian.org at fifthhorseman.net>.

** libgnutls: Fix many warnings.

** Included copy of libtasn1 is upgraded to version 1.5.

** Add French translation, thanks to Nicolas Provost.

** API and ABI modifications:
gnutls_strerror_name: ADDED