gnuTLS issues

Simon Josefsson simon at josefsson.org
Tue Aug 26 21:19:58 CEST 2008

Christian Grothoff <christian at grothoff.org> writes:

> I found the problem by reading the code -- not by running any particular test.
> What we want to do is HTTPS supporting mostly only canonical features,
> certainly nothing exotic.  I was trying to understand the code and figure out
> what code could / should be removed since we're concerned about code size for
> libmicrohttpd.

You can definitely remove the code in your port.  Nobody seem to have
used it in GnuTLS either since it hasn't been working since at least
around v1.0...

> Is GnuTLS usually compiled with ENABLE_PKI set to 1?  When Amir imported the
> GnuTLS code, he made sure that this flag was always set -- what does it do?

Yes, ENABLE_PKI is normally always 1 in GnuTLS, but there is
--disable-extra-pki to set it to 0.  I'm not sure the code even builds
with ENABLE_PKI set to 0 any more, I don't check for that.  Originally
the symbol was likely intended to strip GnuTLS of the larger X.509 parts
which are normally not needed.  But it is an old symbol, so Nikos will
know what it was intended for.

/Simon