GNU extensions to read_s2k for 2.5.x

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Fri Aug 22 16:59:22 CEST 2008

On Fri, 22 Aug 2008 07:14, dkg-debian.org at fifthhorseman.net said:

> I'm not proposing that we handle mode 1002 yet (i haven't encountered
> it and don't know how we'd talk to the smartcard anyway), but

It encodes the smartcard's seriaon number so the user can be asked to
put in the right card and gpg diverts the opwrations to the smartcard
code.

> semantically, the code i asked you to commit now seems slightly wrong.
> In particular, it treats S2K mode 101 as GNU-Dummy, when in fact it
> should be "GNU Extensions", and it should just test the data after the
> hash to find out whether it's the gnu-dummy extension or not.

Background: The reason for this is that 101 is an OpenPGP identifier to
be used for experimental/testing algorithms and thus we need to make
sure that there is no ID clash.  Adding the string "GNU" should be
sufficient and the extra ID after the GNU allows us to even add more
algorithms.

Salam-Shalom,

   Werner

--