GnuTLS 2.3.6

Simon Josefsson simon at josefsson.org
Thu Apr 17 15:06:14 CEST 2008

The GnuTLS 2.3.x branch is NOT what you want for your stable system.  It
is intended for developers and experienced users.

We decided to avoid an external dependency on a stripped down opencdk
library (minicdk aka opencdk-lite) because integrating that with the
upcoming gnutls crypto backend seems like a rather complicated problem,
and we don't really have maintenance cycles to take on another library.
This decision allows us to move towards a v2.4.0 release soon(er).

I tried to make sure there are no ABI/ABI modifications/deletions in
this compared to v2.2.x, but as the changes have been quite large, I may
have missed something.  Note that we don't guarantee ABI compatibility
during development releases.

The goals for the 2.3.x branch are tracked at:

http://trac.gnutls.org/cgi-bin/trac.cgi/milestone/gnutls-2.4

More ideas are welcome, just create a new ticket.

Here are the compressed sources:
  http://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/gnutls/gnutls-2.3.6.tar.bz2
  ftp://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/gnutls/gnutls-2.3.6.tar.bz2

Improving GnuTLS is costly, but you can help!  We are looking for
organizations that find GnuTLS useful and wish to contribute back.
You can contribute by reporting bugs, improve the software, or donate
money or equipment.

Commercial support contracts for GnuTLS are available, and they help
finance continued maintenance.  Simon Josefsson Datakonsult, a
Stockholm based privately held company, is currently funding GnuTLS
maintenance.  We are always looking for interesting development
projects.  See http://josefsson.org/ for more details.

News in this release:

* Version 2.3.6 (released 2008-04-17)

** Make gnutls_x509_crq_sign2 set certificate request version if not set.
** Improve documentation for gnutls_x509_crq_sign2.
Based on report from "John Brooks" <aspecialj at gmail.com> in
<http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.network.gnutls.general/1154>.

** tests/pathlen: run diff without parameters to improve portability.
Based on HPUX build hints in
<http://hpux.cs.utah.edu/hppd/cgi-bin/wwwtar?/hpux/Gnu/gnutls-2.3.4/gnutls-2.3.4-src-11.11.tar.gz+gnutls-2.3.4/HPUX.Install+text>.

** Don't use %e specifier with strftime, it doesn't work under Windows.
Reported by Massimo Gaspari <massimo.gaspari at alice.it> in
<http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.network.gnutls.general/1170>.

** Remove all uses of gnutls_alloca/gnutls_afree.
Use normal gnutls_malloc instead.  One reason is increased portability
to Windows, the other is that several of the uses may be unsafe
because the size of data allocated could be large.  Reported by
Massimo Gaspari <massimo.gaspari at alice.it> in
<http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.network.gnutls.general/1170>.

** Build Guile code with -fgnu89-inline only when supported.
Reported by Kris Karas <ktk at enterprise.bidmc.harvard.edu> in
<http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.encryption.gpg.gnutls.devel/2708>.

** Several GTK-DOC related fixes.

** Clean up OpenCDK related code.
GnuTLS now requires its internal OpenCDK code rather than the external
GPL library OpenCDK.  Unfortunately, we don't have resources to
maintain an external library (help welcome).

** API and ABI modifications:
No changes since last version.