[gnutls-dev] Starting Guile integration

Simon Josefsson simon at josefsson.org
Thu May 31 17:30:23 CEST 2007

ludo at chbouib.org (Ludovic Courtès) writes:

> Hi,
>
> I think Guile integration is starting to be in a good shape.  Basically,
> all the Guile code falls into the `guile' subdirectory.  The
> documentation extraction stuff is added in the `doc' subdirectory but
> should hopefully not be disruptive for those Guile-less builds (and the
> generated files are in `EXTRA_DIST').
>
> I'm currently unable to run `distcheck' because building the PDF file
> fails after getting a large amount of "underfull/overfull \hbox"
> messages.
>
> My Git repository is available over HTTP at:
>
>   http://www.laas.fr/~lcourtes/software/gnutls.git
>
> If you prefer I can also send the patches generated by
> `git-format-patch' but I had the feeling that it'd kind of a spammish
> approach.  ;-)

Thanks!  I accidentally used 'git pull' on your repository (I think I
wanted to use 'git fetch' instead), so your changes have now been
installed!

In general it looks good, but some things we need to address:

* guile/ isn't part of SUBDIRS in top-level Makefile.am so it is never
  built...

* building in the directory fails:

Making all in modules
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/jas/src/gnutls/guile/modules'
make[1]: Nothing to be done for `all'.
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/jas/src/gnutls/guile/modules'
Making all in src
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/jas/src/gnutls/guile/src'
/usr/bin/guile -L ../../modules make-enum-map.scm > enum-map.i.c
ERROR: no code for module (gnutls build enums)
make[1]: *** [enum-map.i.c] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/jas/src/gnutls/guile/src'
make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
jas at mocca:~/src/gnutls/guile$

* configure.ac contains:

   AC_PATH_PROG([guile_snarf], [guile-snarf], [not-found])
   if test "x$guile_snarf" = "xnot-found"; then
      AC_MSG_ERROR([`guile-snarf' not found.  Please install Guile 1.8.x or later.])
   fi

  This seems unsafe.  Could you change this so that if guile-snarf is
  not available, the guile bindings are disabled rather than aborting
  the build?

* Automake complains:

doc/Makefile.am:131: `%'-style pattern rules are a GNU make extension
doc/Makefile.am:139: `%'-style pattern rules are a GNU make extension

We don't want any GNU make extensions.  Hard-coding the rules for the
two files would be one solution.

* The manual's @node's were heavily changed, which causes problems.  You
  shouldn't need these modifications if you use the latest texinfo.  I
  reverted this stuff.

Thanks,
Simon