[gnutls-dev] Starting Guile integration

Ludovic Courtès ludo at chbouib.org
Fri Jun 1 01:17:07 CEST 2007

Hi,

Simon Josefsson <simon at josefsson.org> writes:

> Thanks!  I accidentally used 'git pull' on your repository (I think I
> wanted to use 'git fetch' instead), so your changes have now been
> installed!

How fun!  ;-)

Anyway, sorry for all the mess that you ended up merging.

> * guile/ isn't part of SUBDIRS in top-level Makefile.am so it is never
>   built...

Done.

> * building in the directory fails:

Fixed (I had a dangling copy of the `modules' directory at the top-level
which is why I hadn't noticed it.  Sigh.).

> * configure.ac contains:
>
>    AC_PATH_PROG([guile_snarf], [guile-snarf], [not-found])
>    if test "x$guile_snarf" = "xnot-found"; then
>       AC_MSG_ERROR([`guile-snarf' not found.  Please install Guile 1.8.x or later.])
>    fi
>
>   This seems unsafe.  Could you change this so that if guile-snarf is
>   not available, the guile bindings are disabled rather than aborting
>   the build?

Done.

> * Automake complains:
>
> doc/Makefile.am:131: `%'-style pattern rules are a GNU make extension
> doc/Makefile.am:139: `%'-style pattern rules are a GNU make extension
>
> We don't want any GNU make extensions.  Hard-coding the rules for the
> two files would be one solution.

Done.

> * The manual's @node's were heavily changed, which causes problems.  You
>   shouldn't need these modifications if you use the latest texinfo.  I
>   reverted this stuff.

I think I routinely hit "Update all nodes" in Emacs, hence those
changes.  Sorry.

> Another problem:
>
> ./configure: line 7459: GUILE_PROGS: command not found
> ./configure: line 7460: GUILE_FLAGS: command not found
>
> The m4 files that define these macros need to be included in GnuTLS, I
> suggest to place them in m4/.

That's from `guile.m4' from Guile 1.8 which should be available at
`/usr/share/aclocal' (or similar).  It's only needed by those who modify
`configure.in'.  Should we really include it?

The changes above are available in my repository.

There are still a couple of minor glitches:

  * Code in `guile/src' doesn't want to be compiled with
    `-Wstrict-prototypes'.  Since adding `-Wno-strict-prototypes'
    doesn't annul the effect of `-Wstrict-prototypes', I'm afraid we'll
    have to remove `-Wstrict-prototypes' at the project level (i.e, in
    `configure.in'), and add it to `CFLAGS' in sub-directories where it
    makes sense.

  * The "function index" of the manual mixes Scheme procedures and C
    functions.  In theory it might be possible to create separate
    indices but since `@deffn' automatically adds functions to the
    function index, it would not be convenient.

For some reason, `make' now fails here in `doc/reference':

  $ make -C doc/reference/
  make: Entering directory `/home/ludo/src/gnutls/doc/reference'
  gtk-doc: Scanning header files
  [...]
  gtk-doc: Compiling scanner
  gnutls-scan.c:5:25: error: glib-object.h: No such file or directory
  [...]

Clearly, it lacks `pkg-config glib-2.0 --cflags` as CFLAGS.
Unfortunately, I wasn't able to pinpoint the root of the problem.
Re-running `autoreconf' and `configure' didn't help.  Any hint?

Thanks,
Ludovic.