opencdk under LGPL

Simon Josefsson simon at josefsson.org
Fri Dec 21 10:53:30 CET 2007

Timo Schulz <twoaday at gmx.net> writes:

> Simon Josefsson wrote:
>
>>> In this version only the included LGPL opencdk library is used.
>>
>> Interesting!  How will this interact with upstream opencdk releases?
>> Will upstream opencdk be re-licensed to LGPL?
>
> Only the code portions which are used in GnuTLS were re-licensed
> under LGPL, but some other code which bases on GPG is still GPL
> and thus the library cannot switch to LGPL.
>
> But some issues remain and need to be discussed.

Ok.  It seems bad if we duplicate code but slightly modify it.  Perhaps
the code can be modularized in opencdk, so opencdk consists of one GPL
part and one LGPL part?  Then GnuTLS could just depend on the LGPL part.

Also, at least in debian, opencdk has only gnutls, gabber and centerim
as reverse dependencies, and I suspect gabber+centerim are just mistaken
dependencies (they probably use gnutls not opencdk, I guess).  So that
means gnutls is the only opencdk consumer in practice.  So maybe opencdk
could just be merged with gnutls?

Just some ideas..