[gnutls-dev] Integrating Guile bindings?

Ludovic Courtès ludovic.courtes at laas.fr
Tue Apr 24 14:48:30 CEST 2007

Hi,

Would there be interest in integrating Guile bindings with GnuTLS
itself, i.e., distributing them with core GnuTLS?

The main advantage I can see (as a Guile user) is that it would allow
them to be deployed faster and become more widely available.  The main
drawback is that it adds up to the maintenance burden of the GnuTLS
maintainer(s), and I would perfectly understand reluctance to add more
code to the repository.

Technically, we could arrange so that this burden is limited.  For
instance, the easiest solution would be to drop the `guile-gnutls' tree
in a sub-directory of the GnuTLS source, and then use
`AC_CONFIG_SUBDIRS'.  With such an approach, the Guile bindings could
even be maintained off-tree and periodically copied to the GnuTLS
repository.

Building the Guile bindings could also be disabled if either Guile is
not found or `--enable-guile-bindings' was not explicitly passed at
configure-time, so that users who don't care about Guile don't notice
the difference.

What do you think?

Thanks,
Ludovic.