[gnutls-dev] Re: Request for goals for GnuTLS 1.7.x

Simon Josefsson simon at josefsson.org
Thu Nov 30 14:50:47 CET 2006

"Adam Langley" <agl at imperialviolet.org> writes:

> On 11/29/06, Simon Josefsson <simon at josefsson.org> wrote:
>> Of course, if you just want to suggest something, that
>> is appreciated too, but no promises. :)
>
> DTLS (TLS over datagrams, e.g. UDP) has been discussed here a couple
> of times, but I don't actually know if it ever happened. (I just think
> it would be cool).

Yup.  It is quite some work, though, and doesn't fit perfectly with
the current design of GnuTLS.  Nikos thought it would be easier to
create a new project, GnuDTLS or whatever, and implement it
separately.  It could copy code from GnuTLS.

Having a separate library for it is a good idea in general, DTLS is
typically useful for embedded devices.

> On a more specific note, I keep meaning to sort out the IO on
> opencdk so that it can read/write from memory. I got it working for
> input (using fmemopen), but didn't get round to getting the output
> working before having to move on. (It just needs to take FILE*'s
> rather than filenames, then one can use fmemopen and open_memstream)

Please send patches. ;) I have little clue about OpenCDK so I'd be
happy to give you CVS access if you want to work on it.  Copyright
assignments to the FSF are required, though.