[gnutls-dev] Re: Compiler warnings on 64bit archs

Simon Josefsson jas at extundo.com
Fri Jun 16 18:06:10 CEST 2006

Andreas Metzler <ametzler at downhill.at.eu.org> writes:

> Hej,
>
> building gnutls 1.4.0 (or 1.2.11) on a 64bit arch (amd64, ia64, ...)
> triggers a couple of cast warnings:

Thanks!  Patches to fix these problems are always appreciated.

> ------------------------
> gnutls_buffers.c:268: warning: cast from pointer to integer of different size
> gnutls_buffers.c:704: warning: cast from pointer to integer of different size

Storing integers within pointers is safe, isn't it?  Compare:

http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/2.0/glib/glib-Type-Conversion-Macros.html

How large is 'int' on your platform?  How large is 'void*'?

> auth_cert.c:1436: warning: passing argument 1 of '_gnutls_write_uint16' makes integer from pointer without a cast

This looks like a pure bug to me.  Nikos?

I didn't go through all warnings.  If we resolve these, we can move on
to the others.  Chances are that fixing these may fix some of the
others too.