[gnutls-dev] libgwenhywfar and gnucash

James Westby jw+debian at jameswestby.net
Fri Jun 9 03:45:47 CEST 2006

[I replied to your message on debian-devel, and then read this one, but
only thought it was highly coincedental until you mentioned gwenhywfar
in your follow up. I'm replying on this list as it seems more on topic
here]

On (08/06/06 18:20), Thomas Bushnell BSG wrote:
> James Westby <jw+debian at jameswestby.net> writes:
> > Why do you require the same symbols? Have you already written the code
> > for libcrypto? If not what does it matter what symbols are provided?
>
> We need something for gwenhywfar, an existing library which uses
> libssl and libcrypto.

So you are looking for a replacement for both libssl and libcrypto.
gnutls does provide a compatibility interface (built in Debian),
but it is not complete.

In the gwenhywfar source

$ grep -r "<openssl" . -h | sed -e 's/#include <openssl\///' -e 's/>//' |
sort -u
bio.h
blowfish.h
bn.h
conf.h
des.h
dh.h
err.h
md5.h
objects.h
pem.h
rand.h
ripemd.h
rsa.h
sha.h
ssl.h
x509v3.h

(16 files)

$ find /usr/include/openssl/ | wc -l
69

So the coverage of the openssl functionality is not that huge. Someone
on this list will be able to tell you better than I can the problems
with porting the above code to gnutls, and the suitability of the
compatibility interface.

(And good luck with gnucash, it sounds like it's been quite tricky for
you)

James

--
  James Westby