[gnutls-dev] Re: GnuTLS for Windows

Simon Josefsson jas at extundo.com
Sun Jul 16 15:18:46 CEST 2006

Ralf Angeli <angeli at caeruleus.net> writes:

>> This is a call for people to test this.  There hasn't been a release
>> yet, and most likely things are broken.  This is work in progress, but
>> hopefully all my changes can be integrated back into the various
>> projects involved.
>
> Okay, unfortunately the first test I conducted already failed:

Thanks for testing!

> $ gnutls-cli --version
> GNU TLS test client, version 1.5.0. Libgnutls 1.5.0.
>
> $ gnutls-cli --print-cert --port 25 --starttls smtp.web.de
> Resolving 'smtp.web.de'...
> Connecting to '217.72.192.157:25'...
>
> - Simple Client Mode:
>

> After that message appears it sits there and consumes 100% CPU.  Just
> tell me if you need more information.

Alas, Windows' select() only works on sockets, not file descriptors.
gnutls-cli uses select to find out whether there is data on stdin and
from the server, and it is the stdin part that doesn't work.  I think
there are some solutions to this, but it's not clear to me how to
implement them yet.

Note that the GnuTLS library itself does not use select, so it doesn't
have this problem.

I'll probably be away on vacation most of the next two or three weeks,
but after that I'll resume working on this.

Thanks,
Simon