[gnutls-dev] gnutls's sonames

Tim Ringenbach tim.ringenbach at comcast.net
Sat Mar 12 14:30:01 CET 2005

Matthias Urlichs wrote:
> Your system should have a /usr/lib/lbgnutls.so file (which corresponds
> to the headers installed in /usr/include). You link against that.

Yes, it does. I know this.

> Why would you care about the library's soname? The linker does the
> Right Thing for you.

Because I'm building an autopackage, as I said earlier. People trying to
install it will have different versions of gnutls. Right now, it insists
  the user either have mozilla nss, or gnutls11. If they have neither
(or if mozilla nss is installed some place we can't find, like it
commonly is), the autopackage refuses to install, because things
wouldn't work.

> You cannot build against other libgnutls versions anyway, because you
> don't have the corresponding C header files installed.

Yeah, I figured I would install several additional versions of gnutls in
private prefixes, and use those to link against. Unless gnutls is
parallel installable, but I don't think it is. I know whenever e.g. gtk,
changes its soname, they make the library parallel installable, so you
can have gtk1.2 and gtk2.0 installed to the same prefix and build
applications against both.