[gnutls-dev] GnuTLS 1.2.0

Simon Josefsson jas at extundo.com
Thu Jan 27 16:25:47 CET 2005

We are pleased to announce the availability of GnuTLS 1.2.0!

This release is the result of the 23 development releases made on the
development branch (1.1.x).

Major changes compared to the 1.0 branch include:

* Moved SRP password authentication from the GnuTLS-extra library
  (licensed under GPL) to the core library (licensed under LGPL).

* The API has been cleaned up, and data types now use a '_t' suffix.

* Fixes to handle denial of service problem when verifying long
  certificate chains.

* The manual has been converted to Texinfo and is consequently
  available in many formats, see:
  <http://josefsson.org/gnutls/manual/>

* A reference API manual has been added, and is available in HTML and
  DevHelp formats, thanks to GTK-DOC, see:
  <http://josefsson.org/gnutls/reference/gnutls-gnutls.html>

The 1.2.0 version is intended to be stable, and to be a drop-in
replacement of the stable 1.0.x branch.

We encourage developers to move to the 1.2 branch as soon as possible,
since we will now spend less time improving version 1.0.x.

We are not planning to open a 1.3 development branch soon, because
there are no plans to start work on any major new feature today.
Instead, we will continue to carefully improve the quality of this
release over time.

Improving GnuTLS is costly, but you can help!  We are looking for
organizations that find GnuTLS useful and wish to contribute back.
You can contribute by reporting bugs, improve the software, or donate
money or equipment.

Commercial support contracts for GnuTLS are available, and they help
finance continued maintenance.  Simon Josefsson Datakonsult, a
privately owned company located in Stockholm, is currently funding
GnuTLS maintenance, and is always looking for interesting development
projects.

If you need help to use GnuTLS, or want to help others, you are
invited to join our help-gnutls mailing list, see:

The project page of the library is available at:
  http://www.gnutls.org/
  http://www.gnu.org/software/gnutls/
  http://josefsson.org/gnutls/ (updated fastest)

Here are the compressed sources:
  ftp://ftp.gnutls.org/pub/gnutls/devel/gnutls-1.2.0.tar.bz2 (2.4MB)
  http://josefsson.org/gnutls/releases/gnutls-1.2.0.tar.bz2 (2.4MB)

Here are GPG detached signatures signed using key 0xB565716F:
  ftp://ftp.gnutls.org/pub/gnutls/devel/gnutls-1.2.0.tar.bz2.sig
  http://josefsson.org/gnutls/releases/gnutls-1.2.0.tar.bz2.sig

Here are the build reports for various platforms:
  http://josefsson.org/autobuild-logs/gnutls.html

Here are the SHA-1 checksums:

618d502fc872530b726e791a818af5a95ee39d00  gnutls-1.2.0.tar.bz2
9866f7250e3e78dc1273aebc6eeba6549dcb8683  gnutls-1.2.0.tar.bz2.sig

Noteworthy changes since version 1.1.23:

* Added the definitions and OIDs for the RIPEMD-160 hash algorithm.
* Introduced gnutls_x509_crt_sign2(), gnutls_x509_crq_sign2() and
  gnutls_x509_crl_sign2().
* Fixed license header in source code files.

Enjoy,
Nikos and Simon