[gnutls-dev] Re: MD4 support

Alex Unleashed unleashed at amule.org
Sat Apr 30 21:38:00 CEST 2005

Oops, I just realized I didn't reply to the list! Oh well... :)

El sáb, 30-04-2005 a las 19:58 +0200, Simon Josefsson escribió:
> Perhaps, if we can learn exactly what you need and why.  MD4 isn't
> mentioned in RFC 2246, as far as I can tell, so isn't used by TLS
> directly.  Do you need it for X.509 certificate signatures?

No, MD4 is not appropriate for that, AFAIK it's broken. I need it to
generate file digests as in those used by the eDonkey2000 P2P protocol.

Due to license issues[1] I must drop OpenSSL and I'm looking for
alternatives. So far gnutls covers my needs regarding eMule's SecurId
extensions, but MD4 is missing. My option right now is to implement it
myself, which I think is not a good idea. Hence the question.

But... maybe it's not interesting for gnutls to include support for MD4
as it's becoming less and less used, and as you say it's not mentioned
in RFC 2246.

Thanks for your timely answer.

[1] http://www.gnome.org/~markmc/openssl-and-the-gpl.html

Regards,