[gnutls-dev] Problem linking gnutls 1.0.16

Nikos Mavroyanopoulos nmav at gnutls.org
Sat Jul 24 23:14:38 CEST 2004

On Saturday 24 July 2004 23:38, Bob Friesenhahn wrote:

> >> /home/bfriesen/src/im/gnutls-1.0.16/lib/.libs/libgnutls: linked to
> >> ../lib/.libs/libgnutls: attempted multiple inclusion of file
> > It seems however that the library is created. Could you check
> > the library (with nm) for the following symbols? Does the linking
> > of other programs work?
> Nm shows that lib/x509/.libs/libx509.a contains the symbols
> gnutls_x509_crt_check_hostname, _gnutls_hostname_compare, and
> gnutls_x509_crt_to_xml.
> If this library is used as a libtool convenience library, then it is
> likely the problem is due due to multiple occurances of common.o in
> the package:
> blade:src/im/gnutls-1.0.16% find . -name 'common.o' -print
> ./lib/x509/.libs/common.o
> ./lib/x509/common.o
> ./src/common.o
> Objects from libtool convenience libraries are extracted to individual
> .o files prior to use so it is likely that this is why the linker
> fails to see the symbols (two common.o files in the same library,
> oops!).

Well the lib/x509/common.c is in the library and the src/common.c
is for the gnutls-cli and gnutls-serv programs. It seems like a bug
in the linker. I cannot think of any linker that does not allow a file
to be named the same in a library and program, though.

> I did have to update a number of Makefile.am files in packages gnutils
> depends on since the library dependencies were sometimes not
> completely listed.  Apparently the Linux linker will silently insert
> library dependencies (recorded in the .so file), but this is not true
> of most platforms so it is necessary to tell libtool about all
> dependencies so they can be recorded in the .la file.

Which dependencies did you have to add?

--
Nikos Mavroyanopoulos