Fw: Re: GNU TLS Licensing

Nikos Mavroyanopoulos nmav at hellug.gr
Wed May 16 11:01:01 CEST 2001

On Mon, 14 May 2001 21:13:33 +0800 Ian McKellar <yakk at yakk.net.au> wrote:

> On Tue, May 15, 2001 at 12:52:33AM +0300, Nikos Mavroyanopoulos wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > > I'm the maintainer of GnomeVFS - the GNOME Virtual Filesystem library. The
> > > library provides a simple api for accessing filesystems both local and remote.
> > > I'm working on SSL support so that we can implement HTTPS. Unfortunately there
> > clients and servers implementing https use mainly x509 certificates, and this
> > is something gnutls cannot handle at the moment.
> I was aware that gnutls wasn't ready for production yet (but I didn't know
> what the limitations were). I guess support for this is just a matter of time.
it's a matter of time... but there are no time tables now.

> > There are no plans to change gnutls' license to lgpl for the moment.
> > Even if I did, libgcrypt (which gnutls uses), is under gpl too.
> Okay. Do you think relicensing gnutls would be an option if libgcrypt could
> be relicensed?
Yes it would be an option. The original idea was to be GPL since openssl was
available for commercial programs. However I think we need some advocacy here.

As things stand OpenSSL seems the only choice for LGPL libraries, or the library
should be dual licensed (GPL, if gnutls is used, and LGPL otherwise).

--
Nikos Mavroyanopoulos
mailto:nmav at hellug.gr