Concerns regarding T3065 dirmngr: proxy issues with dnslookup causing failure

林博仁Buo-ren Lin buo.ren.lin at gmail.com
Mon Oct 21 14:04:51 CEST 2024

Werner,

First of all, apologies for the ignorance.

> You should configure proxy settings and other keyserver options in
> dirmngr.conf and not on the gpg comnand line or conf file.

Thanks for the info, I'll check it out.

> That is why we have our own resolver.  The whole thing has been
> explained in the ticket and elsewhere.

GnuPG's resolver won't work for network environments that don't have a
working DNS name resolution(including but not limited to some
corporate networks and TetherFi[1]), GnuPG must delegate the
resolution task to the proxy service[2] otherwise this behavior will
only cause frustration for users in these networking scenarios.

If GnuPG maintainers don't want to support these networking scenarios,
please at least document it in the FAQ[3] so that affected users won't
bother trying in the first place, thank you.

Regards,
林博仁(Buo-ren Lin)
buo.ren.lin at gmail.com

[1]: https://github.com/pyamsoft/tetherfi/issues/296