HOW to upgrade: 2.0.22 --> 2.3.3 ???

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Fri Oct 4 09:23:16 CEST 2024

Hi!

You should not update to a 3 years old devel version.  The current
stable version is 2.4.5.

> gpg: DBG: Oops: keyid_from_fingerprint: no pubkey; fpr:
> 5d5ddc60954d5b06fa7b592ec45b70d9

That is a PGP-2 key.  Support for them has been dropped in version 2.1.0
(2014):

 * gpg: All support for v3 (PGP 2) keys has been dropped.  All
   signatures are now created as v4 signatures.  v3 keys will be
   removed from the keyring.

  See also https://gnupg.org/faq/whats-new-in-2.1.html

If you still have data encrypted to such keys, you need to install GnuPG
1.4.

In the wake of the Snowden revelation there was a heavy move to newer
algorithms and thus PGP-2 was considered broken by some people.  In fact
Google people heavily pledged for removing all support for PGP-2 for
GnuPG.  Meanwhile I think this was the wrong decision - keeping PGP-2
decryption capabilities would have been easier than all the extra code
to skip PGP-2 keys in existing keyrings.  And of course the PGP-2
encryption has not been broken - only signatures are vulnerable to the
full MD5 hash algorithm attacks we know for 25 years.

Shalom-Salam,

   Werner

--
The pioneers of a warless world are the youth that
refuse military service.             - A. Einstein