How would you do that ...

rjh at sixdemonbag.org rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Mon May 3 15:39:51 CEST 2021

I have dealt with a similar problem in real life, as a real problem with real people.

We created a custom Linux environment, burned it to Blu-Ray, and Alice crossed the border with her Linux environment tucked into her CD player.

On the other side she acquired a laptop, Blu-Ray drive, and USB drive locally, booted into this custom environment, then flashed her BIOS and gave her drives a low-level format.

Rebooting into Linux (to reduce the likelihood of BIOS-based malware being present in memory) she used her system normally, although never touching the local hard drive. All storage was on USB stick.

Prior to departing the country she wiped the laptop hard drive and donated it to a school. The Blu-Ray disc and USB drive were physically destroyed and discreetly dumped.

I am not at liberty to say who Alice was, where she was, or why her needs were so extreme. But yes, we actually did this.