We shall value email usage

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Thu Mar 25 09:54:01 CET 2021

Am Mittwoch 24 März 2021 16:15:16 schrieb Stefan Vasilev via Gnupg-users:
> Bernhard Reiter wrote:
> > What I observe is that knowledge and practive of email usage
> > is declining. I notice it in many little things

> This is quite normal, because millions of people nowadays are using
> modern web based email clients

Most webclients I have seen, are not as usable as native clients.
But this is no excuse for not using email in a good way. :)

> and those have with Gmail etc. the option to use OpenPGP
> too. GnuPG with add-ons for a MUAs seems therefore a bit outdated
> and is probably mostly used among Mailing List members.

Yes, there is a perception of "outdatedness".
Maybe it is needed to show the advantages to make it look modern.
A tool that is more effective should be modern.

Of course, email belong to many, a proprietary messenger to one vendor,
guess who has more marketing money. ;)

> An exception might be the new Thunderbird, with
> OpenPGP support.

The choise of implementing a pre-standard way of protected headers
and making it the default without way to disable it, was doing email and
secure email a disservice in my opionion. :(

Best,
Bernhard