Handling an identity over multiple devices

Luke mail at lukemarlin.fr
Thu Feb 18 22:35:16 CET 2021

Hi there,

I've been using gpg on a basic level for some time now (signing commits,
mails, using pass[1]) on different computers and phones, and have never
cared much for tweaking as it seemed unnecessary. Now I've seen here and
there that it would make more sense for me to use subkeys for devices,
so that they all refer to the same identity (me). Reading this, it felt
like the good, logical thing to do. Yet, after checking some existing
threads of this mailing list through the archive system, it seems that
if the subkey subject is brought up, the usual response is "just stick
to gpg defaults and that's it". However, these threads usually involve a
person that has a single device and looks for better security for this
one device.

Now in the case of multiple device, not using subkeys would mean
creating different keypais, and different identities, which doesn't
sound nice, right?

[1] https://www.passwordstore.org/