Recovering private keys in a friend's GPG installation

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Tue Sep 22 16:57:03 CEST 2020

On Mon, 21 Sep 2020 12:58, Andrew Engelbrecht said:

> private keys, and were merely left behind. If there is a way to check
> the fingerprint of the keys they belong to, and to import them, that
> would be super helpful. Is there a way to do that?

Unfortunately this is not instantly possible because the creation time
is part of the fingerprint computation.  We don't have a tool yet to do
this.  Needs to be written.  GnuPG 2.3 will record the creation time to
make things easier in the future.  For now you need to guess the time
(the "protected-at" value in the key file might give a hint) and weel,
write a little tool to compute the fingerprint.

Salam-Shalom,

   Werner