Traveling without a secret key

Juergen Bruckner juergen at bruckner.email
Fri Jul 10 20:35:02 CEST 2020

Hi Stefan

> Since you and Andrew are using smard cards or tokens I would like to
> ask the following, prior considering purchasing one myself in the near
> future.

Well my first choice - as it is a OpenSource product - is always a
Nitrokey [1], I use both the NK Start as well as the NK Pro.

But also see the following....

> I use Windows 10 and Android (Samsung A40) and would like to know,
> in case the is possible with my smartphone and under Windows 10 to
> use a smard card where I can enter a PIN, thus only putting a secret
> key without a passphrase on it, for ease of use, because my bank card
> also has only a PIN. Is there software for such PIN entering for Win
> and Android availalble and if so what Android email client software
> would you or Andrew recommend, which allows to use a secret key without
> a passphrase from a smard card?

Well, Nitrokeys do also work on Android devices, with a USB-Adapter.

In case you want to use your SmartCard/Token on the Andoid device via
NFC, the best choice would be a Yubikey 5 NFC [2].

The Windows software to enter the PIN-Code is your PGP Software with
SmartCard Support. On Android you should use Openkeychain for that.

As Android e-mail-client the most people who use PGP, also use K9-Mail;
my personal preference and my strong recommendation is the app called
"FairEmail", as this app supports both, PGP (via Openkeychain) and also
S/MIME.

I hope i have been able to help you a bit.

Best regards
Juergen

[1] https://www.nitrokey.com/de
[2] https://www.yubico.com