Which version of GnuPG to use?

Damien Goutte-Gattat dgouttegattat at incenp.org
Mon Sep 16 14:41:00 CEST 2019

Hi,

On Mon, Sep 16, 2019 at 11:29:19AM +0200, Daniel Bossert wrote:
>I need recommendations:
>- Which version of software shall I install?

The latest version available for your system, which should in any case
be a version from the 2.2 branch. (If your system is Windows, that would
be Gpg4Win 3.1.10, which provides GnuPG 2.2.17.)

You should *not* use GnuPG 1.4.x unless you have some very specific
needs (such as working on a "exotic" system or having to interoperate
with PGP versions from the mid-1990s), and you should *not* use any
version from the 2.0 or 2.1 branch which are not supported anymore.

>- Create key via cli-commands or is Windows-Version ok?

This doesn't matter, really. You may use gnupg directly on the command
line if you're familiar with it, but you don't have to.

>- Which keys shall I take (there was an article not to encrypt/sign
>with El-Gamal)?

The usual recommandation is to stick to the default setting proposed by
GnuPG (which currently and if I remember correctly is to generate a
RSA-3072 master key for certifying and signing and a RSA-3072 encryption
subkey).

Note that modern versions of GnuPG do not ask you anymore to specify the
type and/or size of key you want unless you explicitly request it.

- Damien