Keys in the keystore dir (private-keys-v1.d/) are being modified

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Sun Mar 10 20:08:48 CET 2019

On Sun, 10 Mar 2019 15:54, claudio.floreani at gmail.com said:

> After signing a file with my sign subkey I noticed that the private key
> file of the sign subkey was modified. Why? What happens?

To speed up the migration and to not annoy you by asking for your
passphrase for each private key, GnuPG defers a part of the migration to
the time when you have to enter the passphrase anyway.  This is what
happened here.

Please be aware that future versions of GnuPG _may_ update the file with
the private key to record certain meta data.

Shalom-Salam,

   Werner