Forbes article: The Encryption Debate Is Over - Dead At The Hands Of Facebook

Andrew Gallagher andrewg at andrewg.com
Wed Jul 31 16:52:52 CEST 2019

On 31/07/2019 15:36, Ryan McGinnis via Gnupg-users wrote:
> haven't you always had to trust your app / OS? Unless you coded or
> audited it yourself from top to bottom and built your own hardware
> (hah), there is always a level of trust required in the code/device

Facebook are being expected to act as both poacher and gamekeeper
simultaneously. Cory Doctorow has an interesting viewpoint - we can
either regulate the internet giants and expect them to act as an arm of
the state, or we can break them up and expect them to act on behalf of
the customer. But we can't reasonably expect both.

There's a balance to be had between the needs of personal privacy and
public security, and the best way to ensure it's done honestly is for
different agents to take different sides and have it out in public. It's
conflicts of interest and the inevitable closed-door decision making
where the problems really start.

--
Andrew Gallagher