WKD documentation (Re: Testing WKD setup?)

Johannes Zarl-Zierl johannes at zarl-zierl.at
Fri Jul 12 15:11:28 CEST 2019

Am Freitag, 12. Juli 2019, 10:30:30 CEST schrieb Werner Koch via Gnupg-users:
> On Wed, 10 Jul 2019 21:47, johannes at zarl-zierl.at said:
> > ...except it isn't installed by default. Will this be part of
> > gpg-wks-client?
> Ooops.  I meant gpg-wks-client.  There is no gpg-wks-tool.

Thanks for the clarification.

> > won't be installed to libexec), it would still be beneficial to describe
> > the actual file system layout.
>
> You mean, where it gets installed?  When running ./configure without any
> options gpg-wks-tool whill be installed under /usr/local/libexec as per
> GNU standards.  Debian and other distors don't have this directory and
> install it under /usr/lib.  You can of course use

Sorry, I should have separated this better from the previous sentence. What I
meant are two things:

1. If a user is ever to execute gpg-wks-client directly or through a script,
libexec should not be used: [1]

Right now I have the bizarre situation on Debian unstable that gpg-wks-server
is in /usr/bin even though it is meant to be executed by a service and not by
a user, but gpg-wks-client is located in /usr/lib/gnupg (Debian has no
libexec, I think).

[1] https://refspecs.linuxfoundation.org/FHS_3.0/fhs/ch04s07.html

2. It would still be beneficial to describe the actual file system layout of
the WKD.
This can either be done implicitly in the step-by-step guide ("After the call
to gpg-wks-client, 'find .well-known/openpgp' should list a directory
structure similar to this one: ..."). Or it can be documented separately on
the WKD page, also explaining different options (e.g. is there a different WKD
layout when WKD is deployed on a sub-domain, what are possible values for the
policy file) with links to the canonical reference documentation.

Cheers,
  Johannes