[OT] Where can I find some papers to read on mail (and envelope) security?

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Thu Jan 31 08:53:17 CET 2019

On Wed, 30 Jan 2019 20:44, sac at 300baud.de said:

> On the other side i wish PGPfone would have been further developed.
> I found it, way back then, pretty cool and super easy to use, compared
> to PGP or GnuPG.

Please don't compare an online protocol with an offline (store+forward)
protocol - they have very different semantics and purposes.

With online or near-online protocols you can negotiate parameters and
with a phone you even have a kind of second channel for verification
purposes.  Hard to see how to do this with backup tapes or data in mail
queues and imap folders ;-)

Shalom-Salam,

   Werner

p.s.
Regarding the OP: I would still recommend Ross Anderson's
"Security Engineering" - it is far from being dedicated to snail mail
but nevertheless has lot of real world security examples for many areas.